As and Admin not seeing all requests on the server

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I have two App servers in my TFS Environment I am and admin in TFS and on the boxes I am only seeing my own requests where I would expect to see everyones requests.

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Are you running the tool using a domain account?

Also, sometimes if your environment does not get heavy usage (i.e. you don't have too many requests causing a bump, you might not notice many of the requests.

Have you tried lowering the "RefreshIntervalInSeconds" value to something like 5 seconds? You could also try and set the "ExecutionThresholdInSeconds" to something really low like 1 second to get short-timed requests logged.

Have you also monitored the tool while a long operation was taking place?

If you can provide me with a bit more details to help troubleshoot, that would great.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Hey Mo, It's Gary from MySpace.
You have time to fix the tool for TFS 2012. I think it's useful.
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Hey Gary,

I'll work on the port for TFS 2012 and TFS 2013. Give me a couple of days. Let's say the ETA would be by Monday 9/23 the furthest just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,
-M
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Released version 2.0 which now supports TFS 2012 and TFS 2013. Download the zip from the downloads page, and please let me know if you run into any issues.
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Mo, thanks for the quick return.

I download the new version and I have the same problem as above:
"I have two App servers in my TFS Environment I am and admin in TFS and on the boxes I am only seeing my own requests where I would expect to see everyones requests."

Doesn't matter if I point the .config to the vip or one of the leg, I only see my own request on the box that I'm running the tool (as QueryActiveRequests, which I think it's the request the tool is making). Although, when I make a big GET on another box or other builds are doing the GET, I don't see those requests. I even change the IntervalRequest to 5 sec or manually keep pushing the refresh but I don't see any thing else.

Also, I try to pull the tool and run it onto one of our app tier to hit the web service directly but get the similar result. There is slightly difference here. When I change the .config pointing to the app tier that I am on, it only shows one "QueryActiveRequest" type although there are GET out there that explicitly getting from this app tier. However, when I change the .config file and point it to the vip, the tool keeps prompting up for credential login. After I enter credential a few times, it comes back to the same result.

Where do you spit out the log? It might be related to security?
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Gary,

I am going to troubleshoot this bug and try to fix it tonight. Meanwhile, I am going to pull down the current release.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-M
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Hey Gary,

I've uploaded a new version of TFS Request Manager (v 2.0.1) which fixes the bugs in the previous release that prevented the viewing of requests from anything other than the configuration instance. Please give it a try and let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,
-M
Sep 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Mo, thanks for the fix.
It shows more requests now.
Does it also show the request to version control as well?
As a quick test, I make a big GET on another box and constantly hit "Refresh" on the tool, it doesn't show this particular request.
Same thing when I queue a build, it's making a GET but the tool doesn't show.
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for testing the latest release.

Regarding your question on whether or not it also shows the requests from version control, the answer is yes. Since we monitoring at the project collection level, this includes operation related to version control, work item tracking, and builds.

I have tested it with GET requests from the same user and from other users, and I am able to see the "other" requests fine. Note that a long running GET (e.g. simulate it with a normal GET on a large codebase with force get version even if it exists locally) does not have to take too long even if the progress dialog indicates it is still in progress. This is due to the GET operation being broken down into the workspace update operation followed by several download operations. Sometimes, you don't see all operations since they go too fast. Force a long get (tf get /force) and see for yourself.

Let me know if you still cannot see operations.

Thanks again.
-M
Oct 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Correct, the requests happen so quick that I couldn't see.

In general, the goal we're trying to archive by having a way to monitor who currently have open connection with TFS. The new report of activity log in TFS 2012 is slow and doesn't give this.

I like this tool because it's quick, keep refreshing and seem "live running".
Mo, again thanks for fixing the tool quickly.